3 Day Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs Liveaboard
The 3 day / 3 night dive adventure on board Spirit of Freedom will take you to the famous Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs of the GBR. Includes return flight from Lizard Island over the reef
The days of 'roughing' it on a dive boat are long gone and these days divers can enjoy the best in top side comfort on board dive-cruise vessels like the luxurious Spirit of Freedom. At 37 metres the Spirit is one of Australia's largest live aboard dive vessels, and features electronic stabilisers, wide screen TV/ DVD, comfortable lounge areas, sun decks, and spacious cabins with en-suite bathrooms. With classic lines, white exterior, polished timber & chrome, gourmet meals and an outstanding level of service, the atmosphere is more like a private motor yacht than a dive boat.
The 'Ribbons' are a string of 10 coral reefs stretching over 100 miles to the north of Cairns. Awaiting you are picturesque coral gardens and isolated 'bommies' crowned in delicate corals, anemones, and colourful reef fish. The Cod Hole lies at the top of the Ribbon Reefs, and is home to a family of resident Potato Cod (Groper). These diver friendly fish will amaze you with their sheer size and seeming eagerness to pose for camera.
Coral formations vary from beds of huge plate corals to isolated pinnacles sustaining an amazing display of fish life, to walls and channels for the perfect drift dives as well as caves, canyons and shallow coral gardens. Divers can expect to encounter the enormous giant clams, golden gorgonian fans, and clouds of colourful tropical fish, as well as cruising pelagics, moray eels, green turtles, reef sharks and the giant Napoleon Wrasse.
- 1 x Ocean View Deluxe: Very large cabin, with double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, 2 bed side tables, TV/DVD, CD stereo
- 1 x Ocean View: Smaller cabin with double bed, wardrobe, 1 bedside table, TV/VCR, CD stereo
- 1 x Stateroom: Very spacious cabin with queen bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, 2 bedside tables, TV/DVD, CD
- 7 x Double or Twin: Double bed with single over, wardrobe, 1 bedside table
- 2 x Quad Share: 4 single beds, bunk style, wardrobe
- Departing Cairns 12:00 noon Monday
- Returning Cairns 11:00 am Thursday
- Monday: Boarding Spirit of Freedom at 11:15am at Trinity Wharf (complimentary transfers from Cairns city hotels are available) for a 12 noon departure. Lunch will be served on board while we cruise to the Great Barrier Reef to the north of Cairns, for an afternoon orientation dive and a twilight or night dive.
- Tuesday: Today we dive Steve's Bommie, on Ribbon Reef # 3. This is an isolated pinnacle that rises from 100 feet at its base to around 15 feet from the surface. Colourful antheas and a vast array of fish cover this bommie, while big eye trevally and barracuda hang out in the blue. Look for nudibranch and stonefish. Today we may also dive the Clam Gardens, where giant clams up to three feet across will amaze you. Some of our other favourite sites in this area of the Ribbons include Flare Point and the beautiful Gorgonia Wall.
- Wednesday: This morning we will dive the Cod Hole. This is a popular dive site famous for it's resident family of large Potato Cod, (Groper). Good opportunity for photographers. We may also dive Dynamite Pass, possibly as a drift dive, well known as a channel for sharks cruising from the Coral Sea to the Barrier Reef. This afternoon we may dive Lighthouse Bommie, where Golden sea snakes are frequently sighted. In the spring months this site is also a Manta Ray cleaning station. Other sites we may visit today include Challenger Bay and Pixie Wall. This evening we cruise into Watson's Bay on Lizard Island where we will overnight in the lea of the island.
- Thursday: This morning, after a leisurely breakfast, you have the opportunity to go ashore and explore Lizard Island. At 10:00am you will board a twin-engine light aircraft at Lizard Island for your low level flight over the reef back to Cairns. Arriving back at Cairns airport at approximately 11:00am, the Spirit of Freedom courtesy coach will meet you for your transfer back to your Cairns city hotel.
Please note that above itinerary is a sample only and sites may vary or the sequence may change in accordance to the weather and the accessibility.
- Transfers to/ from Cairns city accommodation
- Low level reef flight - Lizard Island to Cairns
- Opportunity for up to 11 dives
- En-suite cabin with daily service
- Chef prepared meals
- Australian wines & soft drinks with evening meals
Special Note: Due to light aircraft weight restrictions, your total luggage weight is limited to 20 kilograms/ 45 lb per person. We request that bags be soft sided.
- 3 day equipment rental $120
- 3 day Nitrox fills $75
- Advanced course $265
- Nitrox course $295
Optional Extra Prices are valid from 01/07/15 - 30/06/17
- 20% cancellation fee applies with less than 60 days notice
- 100% cancellation fee applies with 21 days or less notice
- Note - Extreme weather conditions may cause cancellation or adjustment of advertised itinerary.
|Ocean View Deluxe||$2,550.00|
|Ocean View or Stateroom||$2,350.00|
|Double or Twin share||$2,050.00|
|Ocean View Deluxe||$2,625.00|
|Ocean View or Stateroom||$2,425.00|
|Double or Twin share||$2,110.00|
* 01 July to 30 June
** Extra Charge: This additional fee includes a Government Environmental Management Charge as well as Port Departure Tax and administration costs.
Rates are per person and in Australian Dollars (Currency Converter).